Frequently Asked Questions

Click the buttons below for answers to frequently asked questions

I cannot pay

  • I have a debt rescheduling arrangement, an administrator, or have been declared bankrupt.

    You must provide documentary evidence showing that you have a debt rescheduling arrangement or an administrator. This can be done via the contact form. Your administrator should contact us as soon as possible. In the event of bankruptcy, your receiver should contact us as soon as possible.

  • I have many debts and want advice and assistance on settling them. Where can I go for help?

    There are various forms of assistance to prevent or solve problematic forms of debt. If you have debts, you can first try using voluntary debt assistance. With the aid of a debt support officer, efforts will then be made to realise a payment plan with a creditor. If that does not succeed, the Debt Rescheduling (Natural Persons) Act (WSNP) affords a possibility for realising a debt-free future. More information on the WSNP is available on the WSNP website and the website of the Association for Debt Assistance and Social Banking (NVVK). You can also ask your municipal authority to exchange ideas with you on an appropriate solution for your situation.